1 Cucumber (finely chopped)
2 cups drained yogurt
2 cloves (cut in half and mashed to a paste in a mortar and pestle with 1/4 tsp sea salt)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
2 Tbsp EVOO
Ground black pepper
1. Toss the cucumber with a generous amount of salt and leave in a colander in the sink to wilt for 15 to 30 minutes. Rinse and drain on paper towels.
2. Beat together the yogurt, garlic, mint and olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cucumbers. Adjust seasonings and serve.
To serve as a soup, place a couple of ice cubes in each of four to six bowls. If you wish, thin out the cucumber-yogurt mixture with a little water. Spoon into the bowls.
- Substitute mint for the dill.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (stir in with the other ingredients).
- Substitute 1 Tbsp walnut oil for 1 Tbsp of the olive oil.
- Add 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar.
Makes 4-6 Servings